Monday, August 19, 2013

Discipline to Discipline. 8-16-13

Mentally, I had been preparing myself for the potential for Boop to have serious genetic problems. So far, so good on that front. I guess I wasn't as prepared for the more mundane toddler issues. ADHD seems a bit more common in the males in my family; so when I found out Boop would be a girl, I thought maybe I would side-step some of those issues. 


Those few minutes before she dumps everything out of her bowl
and throws the bowl in the floor.
I worked with 2 year olds at a daycare, and it was probably one of the most difficult jobs I've ever had (and I've had a lot!!). I had hoped that I had learned something in those 20 years since my daycare teacher days, to help me manage my own child. And folks kept telling me, 'it's different when it's your own child.' But Boop is a handful. When my aunt assured me that she would teach Boop the word 'no,' I had a little mental chuckle and observed her having about as much luck as me. For Boop, the word 'NO' is a special challenge, usually makes her giggle, and makes her even more determined to do what she shouldn't. 


At daycare this morning, the teacher said that Boop can give some dirty looks. And the most likely culprit is me, I guess. I'm perpetually trying to keep Winnie from biting Boop's hand off as Boop pats/hits Winnie on the head or tries to get x out of Winnie's mouth. It's all a game to Boop. I have a hard time of enforcing any sort of discipline on her. I worry that I'm disciplining too much; I worry that I'm not disciplining enough. I don't want Boop to grow up with an entitlement mentality. On the other hand, I get pretty frustrated with her sometimes and get caught up in the moment, which leads me to worry that I'm being too harsh. And when I see that she is making mean faces, I wonder if she is getting that from me; although I think the last one I saw came from my friend. 


The only thing that she really seems to respond to is time out. It's just as much a time for me to collect my thoughts and get her out of a situation than it is to discipline her. I put her into one of her high chairs for about 2 minutes and tell her she's in time out. I hate to restrain her, but I know she won't be able to be able to sit still on her own and don't want her to get hurt. Ideas? Is this something I just survive until she gets a bit older?

No comments:

Post a Comment