Thursday, March 26, 2015

Wolf Mom Parenting? 3-26-15

Just read these stories this morning:
Wolf Dad Parenting
Er, All I have to say to this dad is: Have fun at 2 1/2 years when you finally try to get him to wear clothes. Fortunately, we've gotten to the other side. Maybe. I hope. Boop is well into her 3's. I had to eliminate Peppa Pig from the screen. Ah sweet Peppa Pig seems so perfectly harmless. Yet, Peppa Pig encouraged all sorts of defiant behavior--not wearing clothes, not going to daycare, not going to bed, not having dinner at the table. Peppa could not be interupted. Alas, Peppa was sacrificed for the benefit of household harmony. Thankfully, we may have also lost the temptation of 'muddy puddles,' but I kinda diffused that when I explained that Peppa was a pig, and that pigs like to play in mud (not really true but true enough to get us through the moment). I have made my piece with Teen Titans Go! They really aren't so awful. Certainly not the IQ-dropping mind-suck of Spongebob Squarepants.

"Little Brats" playing on Veterans Memorial
Yes, I can see Boop trying to have a go at something like this. I'm sure she's already offended people horribly, as have I by my parenting misdeeds. But, goodness, the two of them are pretty old and have scaled pretty high. I guess the troubling thing is that the parents laughed, thought that what the kids were doing was funny. And it sounds like it took a huge crowd to take the hint that this was not okay and not funny. No apologies offered to the by-standing vets. No apparent scolding of the children. Hm. At times like these, I'm thinking it might be helpful to do a little research on the monument and sit down and have a talk: Information on the Vietnam Women's Memorial. Regardless of what you think of the Vietnam War, c'mon these were nurses. MASH was never really my thing (my parent's watching likely conflicted with a Peppa-Pig-like show that I wanted to watch and the blood, still don't like to see blood and innards), but I can appreciate the day-to-day difficulties of nurses in war. And it gives a hint, even if depicting Korea.

Boop's photo of me in the morning.
Yep, nearly 2 years and $5000 of Invisalign and still not quite right.

No comments:

Post a Comment