Friday, March 15, 2013

The Weekend, Part II. 2-27-13


So, there was blood on my arm when I got to the animal hospital. I wasn’t really sure where it came from. We took her in, and the vet tech was telling me that it was a bad bite, that they would need to do surgery. It really wasn’t sinking in, and I really still hadn’t seen the bite. I was looking on top of her head, thinking the husky got her between the ears.

It took the vet a bit of explaining to help me understand the seriousness. There was some discussion about exploratory surgery and needing to leave her overnight. She showed me the bite again, and then I realized the bite was underneath, at the base of her jaw and neck. It was a hole the size of a crochet needle, very close to her esophagus and trachea. That’s when I started to get queasy. And then the anticipation to see if the guy would follow through and pay added to my anxiety, when I saw a potential bill of $700.  It took a few phone calls to get it sorted, but his mother eventually put a down payment on the bill.

I stopped on the way home to get groceries. I needed a distraction, but I was lucky I didn’t pass out in the frozen food section. Mom called when I was at the checkout, frantic that I wasn’t home. After getting in and getting sorted, I called the vet office, and everything went fine. I brought her home at 10:30pm, and she had a port and about 10 staples.

No comments:

Post a Comment