Sunday, September 1, 2013

No Lie. 8-27-13

I said she was a big girl, and that's no lie. We had our 18 month appointment, even though she is 19 months. I stripped her down, put her on the scale and got all of her measurements. The pediatrician came in. "What's the verdict;" I asked, "Is she a big girl?" Yes, she replied. Then, I asked for the details, "Is she staying on her curve, at about the 85th/90th percentile?" She looked at her paper, "Well, for length, she's at about the 85th %ile." "And weight?" She laughed, "For weight... she's above the 99th." 

This morning, when her medical records update came to me, I entered her details into the WHO charts, and her head circumference is above the 90th. These are all measurements for a 19 month old; so yes, these are all accurate (I was kinda hoping that there had been a bit of a mistake with charting her as an 18 month old with those measurements). If there's a place I want her to be a little larger, it's in the cranium. If her head is a little smaller, my genetics training tells me that spells trouble. Of course, having a really large head is not great, either, but she's just a tad bit bigger there, proportional.

I was going back through her records, and she's only gained a pound in 2 months, which means she's really slowing down. In fact, she's stayed the same weight since the beginning of the month. I feel a little strange, if not hypocritical, mentioning her weight. Boop is not that heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment