Thursday, September 26, 2013

Summer's Gone (and 75 Cents). 9-26-13

Where did summer go? In spite of getting a pool pass for the summer, we only used it 5-6 times for about a half hour each. We just about broke even. I figure it was some combination of crazy grant deadlines and bad weather (too hot, too cold, too rainy--any excuse I could use for venturing out of the house at that moment) that kept us away. And then, all of the sudden, the local schools opened in mid-August and the pool was drained. It was a bit of a shock to drive by one morning on my way to daycare and see the pool empty. 'Well, I guess we definitely won't go to the pool this weekend,' I thought. Bummer. I just found our pool pass... more on that later.

So, I felt a little redeemed when I found a blow-up pool at Homegoods. 'Ah, we can get in one last time in the pool.' This as the temp was in the mid-60's. 'We WILL have one last hurrah, even if I have to boil water!' Last Friday, it was supposed to be warm, almost 80. Mom had my air pump and came in for a visit on Friday, but I didn't catch her in time to tell her to bring it. So, I devised a plan to take the pool over to the local gas station and pay 75 cents to blow up the thing at the tire air machine. I was feeling pretty clever--I love to beat the system, but you know, it didn't work. 

It's supposed to be warm tomorrow, but I'm not feeling like I have enough hot air (I'll refrain from some bad pun this time). The store didn't have the kind of air pump I wanted; so I'm feeling much less confident. And so it goes with getting older. Time is gone before you know it. 1 day becomes 20 months; 30 years becomes 40. The unfortunate limitations you've noticed in others become less and less amusing and more and more real. And so it is with summers and birthdays. Hope you had a good one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment