Monday, December 31, 2012

Indecision: 12 Months. 12-30-12

Christmas toy from Aunt S

It won’t be long until Boop is one year old. I’m having a bit of trouble trying to figure out what to do for her birthday, who to invite, when to have it. Mom wants me to have it while she’s in town, which will be about a week early. It’s a bit strange because all of my early birthdays were spent with family, or people my parents knew long enough to feel like family. And I feel a bit like I’m somehow imposing by asking people I haven’t known for very long to come to her birthday, and people may feel like I’m asking for gifts. That’s not it at all, and I wish there were some polite way to request for folks not to worry about bringing presents. Those requests never go very well, always end up awkward. There are the folks who bring presents anyway who make those who don’t bring presents feel uncomfortable, and then there is the presumption when making such a request that folks would have brought gifts, which isn’t good, either.

Eyes closed, just like her momma

Then, there’s the issue of having folks to the house. The house is a wreck from Christmas, along with my many incomplete renovation projects.  My helpers will probably be out of town until after Boop’s birthday as classes don’t start for a while. I won’t be able to do any work on the house for a few days due to travel, with Mom and Boop being here. So, I will have a fair bit of stuff to do when I return from travels. Maybe I’ll find someone that can help me get the house ready. Although a bit pricey, my best bet is probably to get trays or catering or something along those lines. Of course, then, we just need folks to show up to eat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment