Friday, April 20, 2012

Welcome to N’awlins. 4-14-12


The flights were uneventful <insert sigh of relief here>. She made nary a peep during the flights. Then, we found our way out from baggage claim to the taxi stand. We got a taxi van to the hotel. That’s when it started. She let loose. We only had a half hour trip, but it felt infinitely longer than that. She shrieked the entire time. The driver was shaky from her screams and asked if she had a pacifier. My response, “She won’t have anything to do with a pacifier.” <And that’s the truth. Just like her Momma. And no one has been able to shut me up ever since!> I tried what I could to get her to calm down. About the only thing that would settle her were the brief punctuations of cobblestones. I was next to her in the back seat. I didn’t get a chance to see anything but the Superdome.

We made it to the hotel, and I ran immediately to the poster session. A friend, E, had taken care of everything for me: got the poster—outrageous!, got it put up, and was waiting for me. She was excited to hear about the baby. I wanted to talk to her more about being a single mother and her son, but it got lost in the hubbub. I finished out our time and headed to the room. Mom had been a bit overwhelmed with Boop; so I got the room sorted out and got the luggage from the bellhop. Normally, I’m able to handle my luggage very well, but adding a crying baby and stroller into the mix made things too complicated. We finally got to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment