Monday, April 23, 2012

On Our Way Home. 4-15-12


Yesterday was another day I had to psych myself up for. Our flight left at 6:30am from New Orleans. Fortunately, everything went like clockwork until we got to the airport. We flew a different airline, and it wasn’t as family-friendly—at least for small children. The screening for the airline was cumbersome, we had to board at the same time as everyone else, and the flight attendants weren’t particularly helpful. Glad this was the last flight instead of the first.

When we got to the final airport, Mom went to get the car in long-term parking. Boop and I hung out with most of the bags. Boop was getting increasingly fussy, and it was taking Mom a while. I decided to just sit down and nurse her because I knew we had at least 2 hours until we got home. An older woman helped me with my bags and asked me if I was nursing. When I answered, she told me that she had nursed her 3 and that she loved it. She went on to say that she had an abundant supply and that, ‘you know what they say, ‘small women produce lots of milk.’’ I was laughing to myself, thinking that I had never heard search a thing and can’t imagine how/why such a thing would be true, but sighed, ‘well, I guess that’s my problem, I’m on the tall side.’ 

I called to check on Mom, concerned about a potential ticket for parking in the disabled spot. No, she was just leaving the parking lot. I missed her call(s) that she was outside, and I happened to walk out to see that she was waiting by the wrong door. She was a bit frantic, worrying about getting towed while we were inside. She started grabbing our bags and rushed out that door. An officer was walking over to my car as we were heading outside. Mom called out that we were on our way.  Me with a screaming Boop, he nodded and walked away. Mom was throwing everything in the car. And Boop was addled.

Boop wouldn’t calm down; so we had to stop a few miles up the interstate to the parking lot of a ‘fine dining’ establishment. Brazen as I’ve become, I just whipped it out, trying to get Boop settled. Mom reminded me of my location; so I covered us with a blanket. She calmed down long enough for us to get to our lunch spot, and I had to nurse her there, too. She finally calmed down enough to fall asleep, and I got more than a half hour’s nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment