Thursday, January 12, 2012

A First Time for Everything, Part I. 1-7-12

<I've been having some trouble with the blog site--so, my delay isn't due to any trips to the hospital.>
It’s funny how people want to be the first for little Boop. It’s very sweet, actually. I’m a bit sentimental, but I hadn’t really thought about some of these things. My great aunt, R, and great uncle, J, got me my first doll when I was a baby. Mom said that R beat Dad to the punch, and he was a little upset that he missed the chance.
When I was about 8 or 9 years old, my parents wanted to get me a doll for Christmas, but couldn’t find the one that I wanted. So, they gave me $25, and let me shop for one. I was considering a Gerber baby, but I really wasn’t satisfied. There was a little girl from church who had received a beautiful Menena, a Spanish doll made by the Bereguer family that was life-sized and sucked a pacifier, for Christmas, but it was about $100. I knew that was way out of my league.
By mid-January, I was so frustrated with my search that I looked at my dad and said, “Dad, I just don’t see anything that I want. I’ve decided that I want you and Mom to take the money and do something for your anniversary in Cincinnati.” My parents went every January to a bowling tournament with their friends during their anniversary. It was a sincere offer, and my dad knew it, which got to him even more. It was a couple of days later that I was called down to the principal’s office at my elementary school, and my mom was waiting for me. She said that she got off early and that she and dad were going to take me out to eat. Very strange. Dad was waiting in the car, and I climbed in the back seat. There was my own Menena sitting in her basket, filling half of the back seat.
And so, I had been looking at Bereguer babies online to get Boop for her 1st doll. Low and behold, I saw some more moderately priced ones in the crazy day after Thanksgiving sales. Unfortunately, they didn’t have any of the Asian babies, which I had planned to get for Z’s daughter, M, and for M’s daughter, E. However, they did have a red-haired doll, which I thought would be cute as M has red hair. And then I saw 2 others. I liked one better; Mom liked the other better. And so we wound up getting Boop 2 first baby dolls!
Mom got the one on the left; I got the one on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment