Sunday, February 26, 2012

Peking Acrobats. 2-22-12


When I was in college, the Peking Acrobats came to town. It was really quite something, watching person after person climb up, building a precarious human pyramid. As the tower got higher, the people on the pyramid got smaller and smaller. That didn’t help the men on the bottom much, though, because having 20 small people on top of you is still very heavy. Uncharacteristically, the tiny girls near the top of the pyramid bobbled and seemed to slip. They managed to recover, which we recognized with applause.

I remember when ‘It Takes a Village’ to raise a child came out, and I thought of how so many of my aunts/uncles and cousins took care of me. How my Paw-paw, and partner in crime, did all he could to spoil me and protect me from my parents who tried to keep me in line. Being home this past week reminded me of how different my life was from my little Boop’s. We’re working on building our ‘village,’ but it’s much slower than having my family close by. Rather, I feel a bit more like we’re those Peking Acrobats with my little Boop on top.

When we got back from the trip, there was a package from my grad school friend, S, an SMC. Her little boy, W, is about a year older than my little Boop. She’s given me much help along the way, getting me hooked in with the SMC group. Then, I think of my other grad school friend, M, on her own away from family with her two little ones. And I think about how things are still a bit precarious for us. I keep telling myself that we’ll get better at this with time, and that even though we may bobble a bit, little Boop will be just fine. In the meantime, we’ll keep working on building those connections around us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment