Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Little Reassurance. 7-24-11

It's been yucky morning sickness today. I went to the grocery and gulped Gatorade at the check-out hoping I could make it home without having to visit the ladies' room again at Kroger. Pringles and veggie sushi for lunch. Maybe it was too much, but I couldn't get the taste that I wanted. I spent the majority of the day on the couch; although I really needed to return a few things to the store. The unisom wasn't helping too much. I did manage to drink a little hot tea, which I hadn't had in 3 months. I got a call from the nurse from the university clinic--on a Sunday, which kind of shocked me. She was explaining my results, as I was getting a call from my great aunt D.
So, she reminded me that at my age, my risk of having a child with Down syndrome was 1 in 75. She told me that my screening results were positive for Down syndrome. However, my risk of having a child with Down syndrome had actually gone down to 1 in 210, which is a huge improvement. She said the cut off for a "positive" was 1 in 230, and I was pretty close to that. My test results have reduced my risk and are very close to the risk of having a miscarriage with amnio. That is great news. My risk of having a child with Trisomy 18 went down from 1 in about 700 to 1 in 10,000. Excellent news. Very reassuring.
I was then able to call my great aunt D back and share the good news with her. Of course, she was so happy for me. And I made a quick call to my mom who is visiting my great aunt R in CA. She wasn't as happy as I thought she would be, but I think she was shocked that my a priori risk of Down syndrome was so high (1 in 75) and a “positive” result was a little frightening. Overall, though, it was great news, and when I went over the numbers again, maybe I was able to convince her that it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment