Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Renovations. 7-1-11

Trying to get my home ready... Home renovations have been the better part of my life for the past 10 years, with the condo in grad school for genetic counseling, the house during my 1st job, and now this house. This house was definitely the bigger project. And unfortunately, there just aren't the quality and quantity of contractors here, and anyone who is decent is outrageous. In the past, I've been the main person in control of the renovation, monitoring every detail, or asking lots of questions, doing the research, checking and double checking.
The kitchen is almost done, thank goodness. One of my helpers forgot to remove the plug from the garbage disposal, so my dishwasher can't drain/won't run. I have the option of paying a plumber $70+ an hour to come out, take the disposal out, 'pull the plug', and reinstall the disposal, not great. I really wanted to get my hardwood floors sanded in the living room before I completely moved in. I'll just have to live with it for a while. Being pregnant and flooring chemicals don't mix. There's the other issue of finishing the upstairs bath, removing the wallpaper that has been apparently super glued to the wall in some places, and painting, lots of painting upstairs.
I try to think of where I might put a little Boop should one arrive ;) Boop will be too big to keep in my pocket; already too big for that! Whatever happened to babies sleeping in drawers? Isn't that what they did in Cheaper by the Dozen? Unfortunately, it's a bit safer than some of the cribs out there! Nope, Boop won't sleep in a drawer... But I do feel a little overwhelmed by all of the products for babies. It just seems to make life more complicated, a whole industry to suck pregnant women (and mercy grandmas! I know one already...) in. Will Ferrell's voice from Zoolander pops into my mind as Zoolander's walking down the runway--keep away from all the temptations. One thing my friend mentioned when she had her 1st, "You would not believe how long it just takes me to get out the door! There's all of this stuff you have to have. I never imagined." Life has become exponentially more complicated...

No comments:

Post a Comment