Friday, March 2, 2012

Classic Me. 3-1-12


Oh, Pooh!

Monday morning: I psyched myself up for my doctor’s appointment and a possible visit to work. I reasoned that if I could figure out what was wrong with me, we’d also be able to help Boop at her visit to the pediatrician next week. The appointment was at 10:40am. My target to leave was 9am. So at 10am <ahem>, I put Boop in her carrier for the car seat, which she hates. I gave my diaper bag a double check and opted to remove my nursing poncho and take my Moby wrap. I gave Winnie her good-bye, ‘Be a good girl,’ locked the door and made my way down the steps. I dug in my coat pocket for car keys. I dug in the other pocket. Oh crap, I locked myself out! I haven’t done that since my last house about 4 years ago, and that only happened because the sliding glass doors accidently locked themselves.

Three options, I thought: 1. Call a locksmith, 2. Break into my house, or 3. Walk. Catching a ride wasn’t an option as I didn’t have a car seat. If I called a locksmith, I’d miss my appointment. I would not be able to break into my house without help, and most neighbors were off to work. I decided if I really hoofed it, I could make it in time. BUT I was seriously out of shape and would be carrying an extra 10lb baby and her diaper bag. It was a little chilly, but I figured if Boop was in the Moby, mostly in my coat, and covered with her blanket, she would be okay. Oh, those hills—I was really feeling it. Me exhausted, her in a deep sleep, we made it to the registration desk at 10:42am. 

The doctor didn’t have any new ideas about my ailment, thought it was allergies, and gave me meds. I was pretty exhausted by the time I got to the office, and G asked a student to help me break into the house. She suggested I keep a spare key at the office, and then it clicked: I did have a spare key! Mom and I had a discussion about it, but I couldn’t remember the resolution. I had a pretty good idea where it might be <groan>. I couldn’t reach Mom to see if she remembered. So, I told the student I had a few things to do at the office, I would have to walk home with the baby <no car seat>, and then he should drive to meet me at home. It took me longer than expected to hunt something down on the computer because it wasn’t there L He called at 2pm, wondering if everything was okay, and I told him I would walk home and check about the spare key. And you know what happened. The moral of the story: the key was exactly where I thought it was. Much time and energy wasted. Classic me. I’m ba-ack, Baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment