Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sorry. 7-9-12


I had been trying to coordinate with some ladies from the breastfeeding group to have a little outing. We were thinking about a walk about a month ago, but it didn’t work out. I saw them both at a recent breastfeeding meeting, and then, we got reconnected. M and I messaged back and forth for a few days and decided on ice cream/sorbet on Friday because it was piping hot outside, over 100 degrees!

Boop and I sat out for downtown, and after circling High St. a few times, found the ice cream parlor. I found a parking spot a few blocks away; then, the fun started. I had a new umbrella stroller from Aunt R and Uncle J and figured this would be a good time to try it out. I wasn’t exactly organized trying to get us out of the car: I was all hair, dress, baby and bags in a chaotic swirl of activity. As I was trying to get us out and sorted, along came a man who wasn’t exactly very well together himself, smoking a cigarette, with a container of Nutter Butters. He approached me and said, “I’d like to present these cookies for you and your child. I want to help you. I’ve only eaten the first few out of the pack right here, but the rest are fine.” Well, you know, I do like me some Nutter Butters, but… I nodded to acknowledge him, flashed a faint smile, thanked him anyway, and said we were doing just fine.

You know you’re in sorry shape when: what was possibly (probably) a homeless man with psychiatric issues sees you and wants to give you and your baby Nutter Butters! Otherwise, our trip out was uneventful. We had a nice visit, and traded notes about coping as first-time parents. Folks seemed to be okay with the teething drops, which was reassuring. It will be good to see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment