Saturday, July 21, 2012

Where am I? 7-15-12


I’m on Mapquest. I’m still not entirely sure what happened yesterday. I was lost. Well, I wasn’t lost, lost. I knew how to get home, and I knew the general location of where I was, but I really didn’t know where I was. You know what I mean.

I’ve got an old mitering saw. It’s been a good one. I’ve had it for about 8 years. Granted, it hasn’t been used daily, but it has seen good use. The saw blade we put on it about 5 years ago is a bit too short; so it doesn’t completely go through trim. We always have to try to prop up the trim somehow to cut it. It’s a little dangerous, and Mom and I decided the best thing would be to get a larger blade put back on it. We are incapable of doing it ourselves and figured it would be best to take it back to Harbor Freight to see if they would replace the blade.

A person I worked with had said Harbor Freight was near a town about 30 min away. Mom thought she remembered seeing it there last time we went up there to get Boop’s crib. I figured we should just go there instead of all of the way into the city. So, Mom, Boop, and I sat out after picking up her photos. We stopped in a Mom-n-Pop restaurant on the way, had lunch, and got us a few pieces of homemade pie to take home with us.

And we drove. We got to the town. Mom didn’t remember exactly where she saw it, and we decided it best to stop at a gas station, fill up, and get directions. One woman hadn’t heard of it, another said it was a half hour away. Hm, strange. I went to another gas station, and a fellow there confirmed it. So, we drove some more, and drove and drove and drove. Where is this place? It felt like it had been a half hour. I stopped at another gas station, and it was a bunch of teenage girls. I figured they would know about the mall (the first gas station person said it was near a mall), and I asked them where the mall was, and ‘oh yeah, where am I?’ They said the name of some town I had never heard of, pointed me toward the mall—still farther, and we were back on the road.

We made a pit stop at a car show to double check, still farther. We arrived to a light rain, and I took the saw in. “Can you change the saw blade?” They looked at it, ‘sure, we can.’ Then, there was a ‘I don’t think we carry this type of blade; let me check.’ <Gulp> “Oh please, you’ve got to have the blade,” I pleaded; “We’ve been in the car for nearly 2 hours with a fussy 6 month old to get here.”They found a blade, but getting it on was a different story. They were sweating it. Pulled out all sorts of tools. Two guys brainstorming. ‘They don’t make them like this anymore,’ and something about a button. Eventually it was changed, and we were back on the road home.

“Did they give us any utensils for the pie?” I asked Mom. “No, but I managed to eat a bit of mine without it.” “Okay, well, hand mine here.” Focusing hard on the road, I managed to get the slimy pinches of apples to my mouth. We had every intention of stopping at one of the roadside stands for fresh veggies on the way back, but by the time we actually got to them, we decided we just wanted to get home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment