Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Active Parenting. 9-4-11

Swish, swish, swish, went Boop's heartbeat, then KA-POW! The midwife startled a bit then smiled. Then, swish, swish, swish. I gave the midwife a questioning look, to which she responded, "The baby KICKED me!" I cracked up. I explained my experience with the other midwife where she couldn't find the heartbeat because the baby was so active. She smiled. There's two votes that Boop will be a handful, plus the 2 ER docs; so that's 4.
With such an active baby, I need to sit down and read some parenting books. A friend was telling me that she swaddled after reading the Happiest Baby on the Block, I believe was the name. From what I understand, the book explains that the baby's flailing arms and legs make the baby over stimulated and that restricting movement is soothing. Another book I want to read is about Ferberizing, that helps the baby to develop good sleep patterns. However, I also believe in moderation in all things; so it's unlikely that I will be particularly dogmatic about any approach.
It's hard to believe that Boop is such a spitfire for being a little girl. Does that sound sexist? I need to find some places to channel all that energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment