Monday, September 12, 2011

Ear Plugs in utero. 9-8-11

Although I like Bluegrass, I'm the first to admit that I'm not much of a country music fan. I like it better than opera, but that's not a ringing endorsement. My friend G invited me to join her last night to see Vince Gill. I recognized the name of course and remembered he was married to Amy Grant, but when I looked him up, I didn't recognize any of the songs. I was honest with G: I'm not a country music lover, but I will go if you want company and can't find anyone else. It worked out that no one else could go. Gill had worked with some good bluegrass musicians; so I figured it should be a decent concert. Also, I was just reading about musical imprinting. At least I knew he was tuneful. Boop started being able to hear a couple of weeks ago; so I figured it couldn't hurt. Better than my singing!
The 1st song was quite a bit louder than I had anticipated. I thought, 'oh, poor Boop's little ears. I hope she's not too scared.' The first 2 songs were up tempo and fairly loud. Then, the next song was a softer ballad. Several sharp kicks from little Boop. Wow <and ouch>! I was debating as to whether: (1) she was mad that the loud music had hurt her tiny ears or (2) she liked the louder, faster music and was upset that it stopped. I would lean toward the former, except she resumed her normal, steady evening kicks afterwards. Either way, it spells trouble. In both cases, she may have been having a bit of a temper tantrum, and she may like loud, fast music. Nonetheless, I was kinda wanting some prenatal ear plugs <do they do this sort of thing at CHOP in PA?>
I was trying to keep my arms around my bump to maybe provide some extra sound insulation for Boop, but she seemed to settle in. And so we listened to songs, and listened to songs. And the roadie kept bringing out different guitars. And another guitar. And I kept thinking, 'this will be the last song', 'this has to be the last song.' But no. He played for a solid 2.5 hrs. No intermission or breaks. And our seats were in the middle of he auditorium. And we sat there. I was so lucky that I didn't have to go to the bathroom. I was very uncomfortable though. That's the longest I've gone without putting my feet up or standing up for a stretch. Finally, they wrapped up. And then the applause. G had been asking if I wanted to leave, but I felt a little better after standing up to stretch. She looked down and saw that her mother had called 7 times, worried about G. With that, we decided to leave. And I made a quick trip the ladies' room.

No comments:

Post a Comment