Sunday, September 25, 2011

R*e*s*p*e*c*t. 9-18-11

I was just reading an article from the Huffington Post about the Murderer's Daughters. What a terrible life! Although dealing with my father's health issues were tough, I am so thankful he was not abusive. I volunteered and worked at a couple of shelters. The spouse abuse shelter really opened my eyes. I hope I never find myself in that situation, expecially with a little one in tow. If there's one thing I've learned, you have to be able to walk away from everything to save your life, and that's a very hard thing, especialy when you're dealing with so much cognitive dissonance, not believing that someone could really want to hurt you that way.
Folks have asked me what I'm looking for in a relationship. With a little one, the stakes will be much higher, and there has been a bit of discussion about this on the SMC forum. I can't say that I really have a 'type.' Mainly the important thing that I am looking for is someone who treats women and others with respect (e.g., respecting privacy, not trying to manipulate or deceive, and not eroding self-esteem). There have been countless women who have found themselves in difficult situations and didn't survive. I don't want my daughter or myself to wind up like them. Some things have happened that have made me quite uneasy. If only abusers wore a sign to alert you!

No comments:

Post a Comment