Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Everything Under the Sun. 9/11/11

I was reading that there is some indication that babies form food preferences in the womb, that scientists believe that some flavors or some elements of the composition of food reach the amniotic fluid. And they believe that this is one of the first ways that a baby is introduced to his/her culture. Boop's taste buds started to develop some time ago.
And little Boop. I eat everything under the sun. Hopefully, that will mean that Boop won't be a picky eater. My mom used to talk about what a picky eater I am... I didn't care for green beans (the way they are prepared back home, as one northern nutritionist called them, "cooked to death") or meatloaf. I had internalized this 'picky eater' label somewhat until I had a chance to try Chinese as a teenager and then went off to college. Later, I realized that I'm not that picky of an eater, it's just that the only veggies my mom made were corn, potatoes, and green beans. I didn't eat green beans; so I didn't eat 1/3 of the veggies that my mom cooked. It's unfortunate that I discovered in college that I'm severely lactose intollerant and have a few food allergies that have developed over time. So, people probably still think I'm picky, rather than just not being able to eat things.
In my mind, I imagine my own little Boop visiting with my mom. 'Grandma, can't we have something besides hamburger and potatoes?' 'Well, what do you want to eat?' 'Can't we get Sushi or a Curry? or Ethiopian?' And then what would my mom do? Of course, she'd be going out for Japanese and have to eat something 'slimy'... Mom always said she hoped that I had a child just like me to understand what I put her through. Well, she might be too much like me ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment