Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Hips, Too. 5-4-12


The next morning, I walked over to the cafeteria to get a big cup of ice water before I started to pump. A call came in on my cell phone from the pediatrician. The hip results were in. Unfortunately, I was in the basement of the building, and the phone was going in and out. The radiologist and pediatrician had both read the x-rays, and then the details of the readings were getting lost with the phone. Then, it went totally out. I was able to get near to an external door and call her back.


Boop playing with a wrist rattle from Aunt D

The hip test was normal, thank goodness, but not totally normal. Her hip sockets were shallow; so the pediatrician wasn't comfortable giving me the totally green light. Basically, the tests were normal in that the hip was not dislocated, I guess.

Having a shallow socket means the joint is more likely to slip out. The way I understand it, it's kind of like carry an egg in a dish or in a bowl. It's a lot harder for the egg to come out of a deeper bowl than a shallower dish. My understanding is, that because the hip is not out of socket and because she is so young, there won't be any surgery involved. My guess is that the worst could be some type of brace to hold her legs in the frog position. So, we are scheduled to see the pediatric orthopedist next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment