Friday, May 18, 2012

The Prep 5-17-12


It's that time again, time for another screening. Yep, I have to have another colonoscopy. And an upper endoscopy. So fun. Oh, the prep. The procedure is a non-event. In fact, as a Mommy of a 4 month old <she's 4 months old!>, I am sooo looking forward to the sleep. Kinda sad, right? But there are 2 things that I dread: the prep and the IV. 
WV t-shirt from K and A
I've tried the colyte prep several times. The 1st few times, I was able to do it fine. Well, not really fine, it's quite unpleasant, but I managed to keep it down. However, the last couple of times, I haven't done so well. I usually wind up in a bit of a panic, having to call the doctor on call to figure out an alternative. The last time, I did the Phospho prep, which went okay, but I didn't feel well afterwards. My MD sent me to the ER to get checked. They've since stopped recommending the Phospho prep. This time they wanted me to do half lyte--a special diet for a few days and then half the colyte. I knew it was still a bad idea; so I'm doing the Miralax prep with Gatorade.

The other thing I dread is the IV. The first thing out of my mouth when they come to do the IV is that "I'm a hard stick. I'm going to need your best sticker." Usually the nurses appreciate immediately what that means, and then they sigh and say that they need to try before calling someone else. Okay, I say. It's much worse when I've been fasting for the procedure. Fortunately, they haven't had to result to ultrasound, yet. I'm encouraged a bit, as this time, I can drink until 2 hrs before the procedure. Maybe that will help my blood pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment