Monday, May 14, 2012

Ouch! 5-7-12


Boop is confused and not happy, but she is calm. It’s 11pm, and her sleepy blue eyes keep jolting open. This is the calm after the storm where the damage is assessed. Clearly it’s long past her bed time.
A photo of Boop at the hospital not long after birth
First, I tried antibiotic #3, which is the maintenance dose. She kept wincing and gagging and then crying. I tried to dilute it with another ounce of formula. Still wouldn’t take it. I tried to put in the fridge hoping that it would kill some of the taste. Still wouldn’t take it. She started to vomit again. I tried to nurse her, but ouch! I must have really hurt my skin when pumping, and I’m raw and really sore. Boop can’t nurse on that side, and she didn’t want to nurse on the other.


Then, I tried her previous antibiotic (#2) and diluting it in 4 ounces of formula. She wouldn’t have it either. I even put it in a different bottle that she liked better, thinking that might help. Nope. Screaming, screaming, and drooling out what little formula I got in, choking, etc. I’m sure she’d like to nurse herself to sleep, but I can’t do it. I need to heal, and this isn’t going to help my supply at all. In the mean time, I’ve put the word out to the local LLL to see if they have suggestions about my boo-boo. It may mean a trip to the MD.

No comments:

Post a Comment