Saturday, August 27, 2011

Malpractice. 8-20-11

My Health Communication LinkedIn group had a posting that one of the best predictors of medical malpractice lawsuits is poor communication. And if you look a little more closely, one of the important elements of that communication are 2 little words: "I'm sorry." It's the thing families most want to hear, but the thing that the legal system surrounding clinicians is most afraid of, an admission of guilt. And I would bet if the clinician has common decency, it's the thing s/he would most want to say.
I reported the incident with the lost samples to a pharmacist acquaintance via email. I waited over 2 weeks. Nothing. I got another name from a friend, a nursing acquaintance of hers, maybe a little higher on the food chain. I forwarded the email to her. She contacted me and explained that she wasn't the person that handled the particular area I was referring to, but that she would contact those who did.
I received my first contact yesterday. This call was from clinical services about the urine samples that were lost. She explained that the urine samples weren't lost, rather, they do a quick protein test. If the test is positive, they send for further evaluation; if not, they do nothing. She said that in my case, the quick protein test was done, but they should have communicated the result. I hope that's true. I responded that the explanation didn't feel satisfying, especially after the nurse said they didn't have any results for me. She responded that she talked to the staff about better communication with patients. I hope that this has some impact. I’m just concerned about those who may not be as health savvy.

No comments:

Post a Comment