Friday, August 19, 2011

To doula... 8-10-11

Or not to doula. I'm trying to decide, and I'm in the information gathering stage. There are so many unknowns. I've only known folks in these parts for about a year and a half. And most of the women I spend time with have no children. It's not that they haven't offered to help; it's just that they may not know exactly how to help. And I definitely don't really know what kind of help to ask for. Many uncertainties.
There is some comfort in having someone nearby that will know what I need. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking about giving birth to my little Boop, but I try not to think too much about it. It's just too freaky. And Boop doesn't appear to be so little, as far as we can tell by ultrasound. Big baby. It would be nice to have as many calming and reliable influences around me as possible. I was hoping to get that from a midwife, but she's going to be focused on getting that baby to come out. And I'm not really sure which of the 5 midwives I will have. There's also the issue of cost of a doula. I need to do more research here, too. Definitely not heard of in my family. I can't say that I know anyone personally who has used a doula, that I know of. I guess the stereotype is that they are used by hippies and liberal educated types--I'm not sure what's going on this website, but it's a little too much information for me! I'm really not either, just freaked out about having a baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment