Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Maternity Clothes. 8-9-11

I was trying to find a dress just like this one, but...
My trip back to see family and go to the World's Longest Yardsale was a bit hectic. Mom went with me to the "upscale" maternity consignment store in town. Well, okay. I was looking at the racks, and all of the sudden, I smelled paint. That's strange. I looked over, and lo and behold, a man was painting a cabinet inside the store! No fans, no open windows. I walked over to him and asked, "Is that low VOC paint?" The man looked up, dumbfounded, like I was speaking a foreign language. I was incredulous. I told him that you're not supposed to have paint around pregnant women. He was unphased and just kept painting. The world seems a little crazy. I don't remember a time in my life when I didn't know pregnant women couldn't be around chemicals and paint.
Fortunately, my mom brought most of the racks back to me in the dressing room. I made a mad dash. 2 pairs of pants, a skirt, a dress, and 3 tops later, I was out of there. As I was leaving, I did reiterate to the cashier in a gentle but firm tone that pregnant women shouldn't be around paint and that such chemicals were associated with low birthweight babies and birth defects. I couldn't tell for sure, but I thought she might be pregnant herself. I had hoped that she wouldn't stay working there if she was.
We stopped by the Goodwill on the way home and had much better luck than the one by my house. A few more tops and a couple of dresses. So it was a pretty fruitful outing. Of course, that didn't stop me from going to Burlington before I left town. I got a few more things, including believe it or not, skinny jeans. Yes, they make skinny jeans for pregnant women: a very scary prospect! Kind of like "Fat guy in a little coat..." a la Chris Farley. Meanwhile, I'm munching on generic Mallowmars. We'll see how long the "skinny" jeans last at this rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment