Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Midwife Meeting. 7-25-11


I went to my first midwifery appointment at the community hospital today. It felt thorough. Please Lord, don't let them lose my test results! I hope the UTI has cleared. I met with the intake nurse and had to visit the phlebotomy lab before I left. They gave me several pregnancy magazines, and a bunch of odds and ends in a sack. I still need to go through it all. They were a little surprised at the quality (lack) of my prenatal care. I fought for everything I got.
So, I met with the midwife, L. I'll rotate through all 5 of the midwives, just so I'm not surprised by who is on call when I deliver. L and I chatted a bit; she asked me questions about how I was doing and such. She seemed to think I was on track. I asked her about Turkey in late October. "Nope," was her answer. She said that's an awful long plane trip :(
She used the hand held ultrasound to listen to Boop's heartbeat. Well, she tried. Mainly, it was like listening to static on the radio. I was telling her that I had digestive problems, was that the reason why there was so much noise? No, she smiled. I'm just trying to find the baby. She shook her head. A bump, bump of the heart then a swoosh and static. "Wow, that is one active baby! You're going to have a hard time keeping up with this one!" Oh mercy, I don't think I'll have the energy to chase after a hyperactive toddler! :)
At that point, I figured I needed to calm Boop down. So, I put my hands on either side of my bump, took a deep breath, and calmly told Boop, "Okay, you need to settle down." Well, at least Boop listens, for the moment, anyway. Once the words came out, the next thing I know there was the heart beat plugging along just over 150 bpm. Fingers crossed Boop continues to listen to me ;)

2 comments:

  1. that's awesome! love it. I am actively chasing a preschooler around now. Wished she listened. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the prenatal visits are any indications, I'll have a frenetic little tyke swinging from the trees. Hope mine is as cute as S because then you can overlook a lot ;)

    ReplyDelete