Sunday, October 30, 2011

Adult Children. 10-26-11

Someone had posted a summary of a session with adult children of SMC's at the 30th Anniversary conference a few weeks ago. The thing that struck me was that adult children really seemed to do okay with many challenges of having a single parent, except the challenge of having only 1 rule giver and 1 enforcer. Reflecting back, the children wished that they had another parent to provide a different perspective and perhaps serve as a mediator.
So, I guess out of all of the concerns they might have expressed, it could have been much worse. Do I wish that things had worked out differently, and I had done this in the context of a happy, loving relationship? Of course. Was this the best decision in my circumstances? Definitely. Overall, in spite of the concern about having only 1 source of discipline, the research seems to indicate that children of SMC's do quite well. Unfortunately, the literature indicates the children that have the most problems are in situations where parents stay together/married for the sake of the children. A bit ironic.
I still hope to be in the right relationship. I realize that in my circumstances it's not likely to happen soon. But I guess stranger things have happened. I've certainly had my share of strangeness in the last few years. Fortunately, I haven't worried about it as much, even with the occasional computer interference <A few folks adding extra salt to the pot, without the original cook being fully aware?>. Having little short-term memory causes plenty of problems, but I do appreciate that I have been ruminating less. I can be stressed about something, and poof, it's gone. About the only thing on my mind these days are the ins-and-outs of my job and the perpetual search for red meat!

No comments:

Post a Comment