Thursday, October 27, 2011

Speedbumps and Hooks. 10-20-11

What will I remember most about living here? Speedbumps and Hooks. I had the new rim put on my car, and the car was driving pretty well. Then, I hit a speedbump, and the car is out of kilter again. I picked my car because it had such a smooth ride, but you wouldn't know that now. This town is just chock-full of speedbumps (and potholes, hence the need for a new rim). The infrastructure of the town is really quite poor. So, the solution: build more speedbumps and build them even higher. I guess that slows down some of the college students... I guess. I find them rather problematic.
And then the Hooks. That is my name for the former owners of this house. They passed away, their daughter lived out of town, and she sold it. It has really been a BIG project. At least I knew what I was getting into. I just didn't realize the challenges of finding folks to work on the place; so I've resorted to students, who have plugged along pretty well. And so the Hooks. Apparently, "Mr. Hook" was paralyzed after falling down the basement stairs (I have since had the stairs redone), and "Mrs. Hook" passed after having had some sort of dementia for a while.

On the bathroom door...
I have discovered many interesting quirks about the house, but perhaps the most, er, exotic is that they put tiny hooks everywhere (and shelves, they apparently also were obsessed with shelves). I can't tell you how many little hooks we found in the kitchen during the remodel. The front porch is covered with these tiny little brown hooks. And then, the upstairs bathroom, which I'm remodeling. I just closed the bathroom door to discover there are 4 hooks on the back of the bathroom door. I just keep finding those little hooks.
On the wall beside the bathroom door...
I guess there are much worse things to find when you're remodeling, but I would have rather it been something much better, like money :)

No comments:

Post a Comment