Monday, October 31, 2011

Midwife #3. 10-27-11

I saw the 3rd of the 5 midwives today. They rotate who is on call. So, no surprises when I'm in the delivery room. I liked this midwife pretty well. She was telling me that several of the midwives trained at Frontier in Appalachian Kentucky. Apparently, as a part of the requirements for their training, they had to know how to ride a horse. As she explained, there weren't any SUV's and such back in the 70's. The best way to get into those hollows--or is it hollers?--was to ride a horse. I so want Boop to be delivered by a midwife riding a horse!! But, I guess there's no excuse for me. I'm only about 2 miles from the hospital, and my neighbor has every type of vehicle and has already offered to get me there. So no horses :(
I got the name of a doula in the next town. The fact that she immediately sprang to the mind of the midwife could be a good sign. Since there is no specific training, there can be considerable diversity in the level of help. One thing the midwife and doula have to know is: 1. I want pain meds--yes, to the epidural!, and 2. if the labor isn't progressing well, then let's move on to the C-section. I'm not out to be a martyr!
I drank that flat orange syrup for the initial gestational diabetes screen. It really wasn't that awful, but I didn't realize that I would have to drink it today. I have felt a little out of kilter today as a result. Fortunately, it was later in the afternoon; so I didn't have to feel yucky at work. I've been a bit dizzy this afternoon, but it could be because I've been standing up a fair bit, looking up, and holding stuff over my head. My helper and I changed out some lights upstairs.
So, they said the results will take 2 days. Being that this is a Thursday, I probably won't hear the results until Monday. They said they wouldn't call if the results are negative. Of course, I'll follow up at my next visit. Now that I'm 7 months, I will start going to the midwife every 2 weeks. Otherwise, my infection is gone, along with the thrush, and Boop seems to be in good shape. My bump is measuring well, and Boop's heart rate was about 150bpm. AND SHE DIDN'T KICK THE MIDWIFE :)

No comments:

Post a Comment