Thursday, November 10, 2011

Talkin' Turkey. 11-6-11

I kind of know how Tom feels. Chock full of hormones, plumping up for the big day, eating everything in sight. Waddling around, pacing in circles, squalking a bit. At least, my fate will be much, much better. And in the end, I'll have a little <?> bundle of joy. I was reading on a pregnancy website about birthing surprises. A few of the women commented about how far off the doctor was for predicting weight. One of the ultrasound estimates was off by 3 lbs!! The mother was commenting that she knew she was having a big baby; although the doctor didn't seem to believe her. I guess he got a bit more than he bargained for at 10 lbs. And so it is with Boop. I know she's a big girl :) I already told the midwife. I know she'll be at least 8 lbs. I haven't had any luck figuring out what Dad weighed, but just judging by his cousins, I'm guessing it was probably about 9 lbs or more.

http://www.greatseal.com/symbols/TheWildTurkey
I'm starting to make plans for Thanksgiving. In Latin American culture, they used to count the year before birth as the first year of life. I'm not sure if they still do this, but I can understand the sentiment. I'll be very thankful for having my Boop with me. And then there will be the showers. I'm hoping that I'll get to see cousins that I haven't seen in a while. I've been thinking about my cousins S and J and how they've been telling me that they want to take me out for Chinese for a few years now. They live in a different part of town than Mom and with my hectic trips back home and with their retirement travel, it's just tricky logistically. Well, there are so many people I want to see. And I will be seen... there's not much missing me these days.
And let's be honest, opening presents is fun. I didn't register, which people think is totally crazy. "But there are so many things you'll need: how will you make sure that you get everything?" "What if you don't get what you want?" "What if you get 2 of something?" Well, I want people to get me what they want to get me, and I'd rather see them than care about a gift. I still remember what my dad said not long before he passed, "Well, at least it's brought us all here together." That's the important thing, and we have a chance to celebrate a good thing happening. And Boop will be part doll baby, part guinea pig--trying on all of her clothes, testing binkies and diapers, and being the source of many experiments with things I've never seen or heard of before that you "must" have for a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment