Monday, December 5, 2011

Baby Shower, Take 2. 12-1-11

Mom was in much better spirits for my next shower. We went and picked up the sheet cake, and she made brownies for me. The sheet cake had a little baby in a flower, and it welcomed our little Sweet Pea. I questioned the Sweet Pea, of course. She never liked the nickname Boop, and so I guess she is planning to call the baby Sweet Pea. She seems more like a Dumplin’ to me: my plump little Lucky Dumplin’. My dad called me Punkin’, and I call Winnie, Puddin’. It’s a rite of passage, I guess.
My cousins B and P did such a great job on the shower. Everything was already sat up when we arrived, and Mom and I had little more to do than walk in and sit down. Well, mom did a few things, but my cousins and their helpers made it so easy for us.  I got to visit a bit with cousins and old friends. A reassured me that she gained a lot of weight with her first baby; so I didn’t feel too bad.  We started with food and moved immediately to presents. There were SO MANY PRESENTS! They were understandably concerned that we wouldn’t have time to play games. So, they gave door prizes by setting an egg timer. Whoever’s gift I was opening when the buzzer went off got a prize. My cousin R asked that I take my time opening hers, and so I obliged ;) N was on gift handing/sorting duty and did a really nice job.
I got three lovely crocheted blankets for little Boop. One I was hoping for: it had the alphabet crocheted into the blanket. The other two were lovely and totally unexpected. I didn’t realize my mom’s friend was able to crochet, but she made a pretty white blanket with this lovely soft yarn. We all had to touch it. The other was given by a relation by marriage that I haven’t seen for years. The edges of the pink blanket had a pretty lacy pattern; it almost looked like tatting. Keeping little Boop warm is always on my mind, and we have some lovely blankets.  My dad’s cousins S and J gave me some money for Boop’s college fund in memory of my dad, which made me a bit emotional. Fortunately, my mom was able to read the card because my voice kept breaking. And I got so many other nice things—lots of diapers <THANK YOU, THANK YOU, I’ve had diapers on the brain!>, adorable clothes, and many, many books. Unbeknownst to me, my cousins wrote on many of the invitations that folks might like to get me a signed book in lieu of a card. Boop will have so many different types of books to read. Fortunately, mom and I have hatchbacks; they were both full of presents! Well, maybe I’ve dwelled a bit too much on the gifts. It was great to see everyone, and I appreciate their thoughtfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment