Friday, December 23, 2011

The Home Stretch. 12-18-11

I’m still working on crossing things off my list. I ran some errands this morning. I picked up a few things for the hospital, took Winnie to the groomer, and took the car seat to the firehouse for installation. Unfortunately, the fireman couldn’t get the seatbelt secure. So, that’s going to turn into a bigger project than I expected. Meanwhile, I’ve been having some serious GI issues. I feel like I could breathe fire! Although I can’t lay down now, I was able to get a nap in earlier.
Mom’s been calling me to give me periodic updates, as I wasn’t able to go home for the holiday. She took the presents to my aunts yesterday, and folks seemed to be pretty happy with the things I picked. Unfortunately, she forgot a few of the things, but she’ll go be able to get the other things to them before Christmas. Today was more eventful. Visitation at the funeral home for my great aunt A was today, and the funeral is tomorrow. I won’t be able to travel for either. It’s sad to think that little Boop won’t get a chance to meet her great aunt A. I had just assumed she would get better and be able to come up and visit with us, but I guess it wasn’t meant to be. I’m glad we went to see her after the baby shower a few weeks ago; I had no idea it would be the last time I would see her.
Boop's hat from her cousin KB :)
After stopping by the funeral home, Mom went to Christmas on my dad’s side with great aunt D. My great uncle J came in for the funeral and went to the Christmas party for a little while before he had to head back north. Mom said folks asked about me and were concerned about Boop and me being so far from home without family. The little ones (30+ of them) got good play out of the presents we got. A few folks sent some things along to little Boop for Christmas, which I’ll get the end of the week. Mom said that great aunt A had gotten Christmas presents for us before she passed, and she would bring mine to me. I asked Mom about the gift I had for great aunt A, and she said that she saw it as she was packing for the party… very upsetting.
In spite of being a little sad to be stuck here and out of the loop, I keep reminding myself that I need to chill, and by next year, if all goes well, Boop will be toddling around and be in the thick of things: overeating and getting car sick, crying because she’s scared of Santa Claus, getting hopped up on sugar and being cranky because she can’t manage a nap, breaking ornaments and other Christmas décor, refusing to give kisses and hugs to the family, and just generally being over-stimulated. At 35 weeks, I’m in the homestretch.    

No comments:

Post a Comment