Friday, December 9, 2011

A Recipe for Disaster. 12-6-11

We didn’t make peanut brittle on Saturday night while my friends were over.  So, I figured it would be a good host/hostess gift for my boss’s dinner. I found an Internet recipe that looked like one I usually use. The measurements seemed about right, as did the part where I do a few ingredients and take it in and out of the microwave. Great, I thought, this will be a quick and easy recipe. I just had to remember to double the amount of baking soda; so that the brittle will be light and crispy.
So, I started with the sugar and corn syrup in a glass bowl and stuck it in the microwave for 7 min. as the recipe indicated. I opened the door to find a bubbly brown goo. I let it set for a minute, and as I was taking it out, a noxious smell wafted up.  As I lifted, I heard a crack. The bottom of the bowl broke off. Luckily, it waited until I sat it down, and it didn’t splatter all over me and Boop. So I sat the top part of the bowl in the sink, watched the burnt concoction ooze all over my glass-top stove, and rushed to open windows. Then, I pulled the bottom of the bowl off of my stove because I didn’t want it to melt into the stove-top.
Next, it was time to get the goo off of my stove. Sugar: the one thing you are not supposed to have on a glass cook top. I started with a post card, thinking I would scoop it off the top of the stove, but it was already stuck pretty well on there. From there, I got a wide knife. Some of it was still cool enough that that I could get under the goo and scrape it, some of it I was able to chip off, and some of it I kind of had to saw off. Fortunately, the stove top did not break! So, obviously, by the time I got the worst of it cleaned up, there wasn’t time to make more. I found a little something else to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment