Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Cry Baby. 5-28-12


Mom agreed something was wrong. We had pretty much hung around the house most of the weekend; so Mom had plenty of chance to observe some of the behavior that I had seen. Granted, Boop had been in daycare a lot; so I didn’t have the full effect until we watched her all weekend. I was still hung up on a urinary tract infection. Mom thought it might be an ear infection. The ‘teething’ explanation seemed possible but not very satisfying. So, who do you think was right, if either of us?

I remembered seeing a sign that the pediatrician’s office would be open on Memorial Day; so I decided that we would give it a shot. We were there before they were officially open at 9am. The pediatrician didn’t get in until about 10am, due to some problem at the hospital. She wasn’t our regular pediatrician, but I thought that could be good—a second opinion. So, she checked Boop’s ears. Check. Ear infection in one ear. With that, she figured she had it, but I asked about the UTI anyway. She said she could check. If for no other reason, I thought, than to document that she was having UTI’s in spite of the prophylaxis. So, she started to do a catheter, but Boop went all over the table. The pediatrician basically dipped the table to see if she should try to do another catheter. At this point, I was wishing it was her regular pediatrician who did a good job of getting the catheter in. Did it look like she had a UTI? Yes again. Unfortunately, we were both right.

Next, we tried to get Boop’s bladder full to get urine to send out. I drank a lot of liquids and nursed. Then, the pediatrician came back to cath her again. This time, the catheter didn’t work too well, and she wet around it. She didn’t get enough urine to send out. With that, she called in a prescription for antibiotics and asked me to get urine for another screen and take to the local hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment