Friday, June 15, 2012

Pizza and a Baby 6-6-12


The day had been plodding along when I went to get Boop at daycare to take her home at the end of the day. I walked into her room, and she was sobbing. The two adults were off doing other things. My heart sank a bit, and I felt overwhelmed again. I guess I was also thinking, 'Oh boy, she's going to be a handful again tonight. I don't know if I'll be able to manage her by myself.' Then, my mind started racing to figure out how I could change the situation, taking the baby and the dog and getting out of this place. Fortunately, I had a few distractions to get me off that course.

I had asked a few students to help me move some furniture out of my kitchen. And I was going to get them some pizza and pick it up before they came. What was I thinking? dragging a frazzled Boop out and schlepping her and pizzas? I should have just had it delivered. I was in such a habit of going and picking it up, I guess. It's only about 3-4 blocks from my house. Boop and I managed to get it, but it took some concentration to balance 16 lb Boop and 2 large pizzas. The students were there as I pulled in to the house, and they made quick work of the job. When they left, Boop was out of sorts, and so I cranked up the Big Band music and wiggled her around the den a few times with mixed success. Finally, she settled in for the evening, and all I wanted to do was to be still and quiet for a while. Mentally, I was in a different place from where I was a few hours before, certainly more exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment